Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Psalm 6 (Rebuke Me Not In Anger)




After the funeral of a close friend last weekend, grief overwhelmed me yesterday. This morning I rediscovered this hymn from 2010, based on Psalm 6. It comforts me to sing it. Thank You, Lord, for Your mercy in this time of loss.


words: Gary Hicks (8/29/10) altered
tune: “St. Christopher” by Frederick Maker, 1881
(“Beneath the Cross of Jesus”)

Rebuke me not in anger, have mercy on my soul
My grief is deep and hard to bear, and I am swallowed whole
Lord, heal me, for my bones are vexed, my bed is wet with tears
My eyes are faint, my soul is weak, my mind is filled with fears.

Return, O God, and free me, deliver me again
Come save me for Your mercies’ sake and heal me from my sin
I cannot thank You from the grave or serve You when I’m gone
But may this day, each waking hour, bring praise to You alone. 

How long, O Lord, forever? At last you see my grief
You hear my voice of weeping and You offer sweet relief
And all my foes turn back in shame, they run to disappear
O bless the Lord! O magnify! My God is present here!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thank you for posting, Gary. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ashley, thank you for reading this. I'm praying for you and the kids today. (I have a card and gift for you from the Guatemala team. Much love today from Connie and me.

      Delete