Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Know That My Redeemer Lives




Back in May of 2010 I set these words to “Azmon” (“O For a Thousand Tongues”), but this tune, though less well-known, is a better match. In The United Methodist Hymnal, it is #417, and the text is Charles Wesley’s “O For a Heart to Praise My God”. This hymn sheet (in four-part harmony) is available to you upon request.

Words: Gary Hicks (2010)
Tune: “Richmond” by Thomas Haweis (1792)

I know that my Redeemer lives
The thunder claps and cries
The oceans roar to lift His name
He speaks from starry skies.

And though I face this darkening hour
With struggles in my soul
I will not yield to dark despair
My God is in control.

The sun will shine, the clouds roll back
The birds resume their song
And from these troubles I shall rise
With joy to sing along.

I know that my Redeemer lives
And on the earth shall stand
I rest, I nestle in His arms
And trust His mighty hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment