Thursday, September 9, 2010

Be Thou My Vision

This ancient poem and tune
are Ireland’s gift to the world.
I was looking for music to fit a sermon series
titled “Becoming Lighthouses of Prayer”
(by Pastor Ken Walker),
and wrote the second verse to fit the sermon theme.

8th Century Gaelic Poem
Translated by Mary Byrne (1880-1931)
Versified by Eleanor Hull (1860-1935)
verse 2 by Gary Hicks, copyright 2010 Gary L. Hicks
tune: “Slane”, traditional Irish tune

1. Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

2. Be Thou my vision, O Lord, be my light
Wide is this ocean and dark is the night
Be Thou my beacon across these strong waves
Guiding me homeward, Thou, mighty to save.

3. High King of heaven, my victory won
May I reach heaven’s joys, O bright heaven’s sun
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment