Friday, December 21, 2012

Digby Shore



Earlier this month I wrote "Beaubassin". This is today's edit of that song, changed for a bit more internal consistency (since Beaubassin and Digby are separated by more than 100 miles) and with some other phrases altered as well. 


Hear the lonesome whistle blow, Morning brings the dew
Though our home is far away, I am here with you.
Geese are lifting from the shore, shall they fly away?
Here we rise at Digby shore, shall we greet the day?

When my heart was sad and low, burdened and distressed
I could hear your golden voice, bringing peace and rest.
Speak again, speak again, as in olden days
Cheer my weary, fainting soul, fill my heart with praise.

Hear the lonesome whistle blow, Evening sun goes down
Geese return to Digby shore, by the Digby town
Day is done, day is done, supper time is through
Though our home is far away, I am here with you.

to the tune “Aura Lee” by George Poulton (nineteenth century)

No comments:

Post a Comment